1.877.338.5493

NEWS

Healthy Homes

New Zealand healthy housing shows commitment to children

Wed, 11/23/2011 - 10:44

A new policy for housing in New Zealand may have a profound impact on the children in the country, as an adoption of this suggested legislation may lead to less sickness by removing harmful toxins from homes, according to a release from the New Zealand government.

Many toxins are present in homes because of faulty or outdated technology, especially in heating and cooling systems. By installing products like radiant heating, families may deliver a high level of comfort, but remove harmful allergens from their residence.

A radiant heating system doesn't require the use of radiators, heating ducts or air vents, all of which bring harmful allergens and toxins into a home and sickness to families. Because individuals spend a significant portion of time in their residence, the amount of exposure to these contaminants at home can sometimes be worse than pollution that exists outside of shelter.

The New Zealand government's new housing policy seeks to address issues like contaminants caused by inefficient technology, as they are offering incentives for families to remove allergen-producing technology in favor of more modern products.

Insulation techniques and technology were also targeted by the government, as serious health problems can arise from poorly insulated residences.

"But Labor believes that the advantages that come from a healthy home environment should not just be limited to families living in state housing, and a Labor Government would require all private rental properties to be insulated within the next five years," the government said in the release.

The new policy arose because of a high incidence of sickness among kids within the country. Healthier homes can help to reduce their exposure to toxins and allergens that may eventually lead to illness, according to the release.  

e-mail icon