1.877.338.5493

NEWS

Healthy Homes

Kansas Healthy Homes organization looking to spread knowledge about household dangers

Wed, 07/11/2012 - 09:38

The presence of certain products within a home can pose serious health risks to families, as old heating systems, lead-based paint and broken ventilation ducts may lead to a worsening of problems like asthma or lung disease.
 
 
According to WIBW News, the Kansas Department of Health and Environment's Healthy Homes program will staff an exhibit that helps residents of the state better understand the true dangers that are posed by inefficient and defunct products within a home.
 
The organization has identified lead-based paint and older heating products as some of the biggest contributors to health problems caused by homes. Since the average person spends roughly 90 percent of their time indoors, these issues can be exacerbated if residents are unwilling to make changes.
 
 
"Young children are at the greatest risk for lead poisoning, which is closely associated with lead-based paint on older homes. Lead is dangerous and can cause serious permanent damage and result in learning disabilities in children," Tom Langer, director, Bureau of Environmental Health, told WIBW News.
 
Some homeowners in the area will be given free assessments in order to identify potential health hazards within residences, and families with especially dangerous settings for children may receive funding to install new products and make improvements.
 
 
Older heating systems should be removed and replaced with clean and efficient products, such as radiant heating systems.
 
Radiant heating systems do not require the use of dirt- and allergen-producing fixtures like radiators, heating ducts and air vents, which all are used in older products and contribute negative air particles into a residence.
 
 
These radiant systems also run without requiring a significant amount of energy, produce no noise and work to evenly distribute warmth around a residence.